There are 6 units covered within this course, which include:
Unit 1 Maintaining Good Clinical Practice
Unit 2 General Health and Disease
Unit 3 Patient Assessment and Treatment Planning
Unit 4 Patient Management
Unit 5 Health Promotion and Disease Prevention
Unit 6 Management, Leadership and Working with Others
The course will be delivered online, via a zoom session. The course is delivered by our highly experienced and qualified tutors.
RECORD OF COMPETENCE
The Record of Competence is divided into three parts:
Practical Competence Assessment Sheets (PCAS)
Candidates must complete the PCAS to provide evidence of their involvement in the oral health care of 7 individuals, (4 of these must be seen on at least two occasions) and you must target at least 5 specified patient groups and all of the topics. The setting should normally be within your own place of work but may be elsewhere if appropriate.
You must choose one patient for the production of a detailed case study; this will demonstrate evidence of further reading and reflective practice. The case study must be between 2250 and 2750 words.
Supplementary Outcome – Exhibition and record of CPD
The content of the supplementary outcomes will be reviewed regularly by NEBDN but currently include: The production of an exhibition and a record of continuing professional development relating to oral health education e.g. background reading, meetings, courses etc.
By the end of this course dental nurses will be able to:
- Discuss the cause and prevention of specific Oral Diseases
- Demonstrate effective communication skills
- Have awareness of current reports, guidelines and research.
- Undertake a written examination to demonstrate their knowledge and understanding of Oral Health Education.
- Demonstrate competency in providing Oral Health Education to patients through completion of a Record of Competence
Career Option after this Course
- Dental hygienist
- Dental therapist
- Oral Health Promoter
- Dental Tutor
ASSESSMENT AND CERTIFICATION
For NEBDN Examination, students must be completed:
- Record of Competence
- Pass the 90 minute written exam: Part A: 45 multiple choice questions Part B: 30 extended matching question